Please help us encourage our students to walk to school throughout October. Here is some more information about supporting this school initiative.
Let’s get Walking
Celebrate active modes of transportation like walking and wheeling along with other students and staff across Ontario during IWALK Month. International Walk to School Month (IWALK) is an annual celebration of active transportation that takes place around the world throughout the month of October.
When Walking to school here are some important safety tips to remember
- Look in all directions before you cross the street. Always STOP, LOOK and LISTEN before crossing
- Cross at intersections and crosswalks, when possible
- Always make eye contact with drivers before you cross the street
- Obey traffic signals and signs.
- Use a sidewalk if there is one
- Do not wear distracting equipment such as headphones.
For anyone who can’t walk or cycle to school every day, we encourage you to try choosing an active mode of travel two or three times a week, or consider parking and walking a block to decrease the pollution and improve safety around your school.
If you choose to drive, please be mindful of students who walk and cycle, drive slowly and be highly vigilant of your surroundings.
Benefits of Active School Travel
- Improves student academic performance by making students more alert and better prepared to learn.
- Improves both physical and mental health.
- Reduces traffic congestion and improves safety for everyone in school zones and around our school community.
- Improves air quality.
- Encourages social interaction and improves social skills.
- Promotes life-long habits that foster independence and active lifestyles, preparing children for their future.
- Just plain old simple fun!