Please help us encourage our students to walk our kids to school throughout October.
Celebrate active modes of transportation like walking and wheeling along with other students and staff across Ontario during IWALK Month, which officially kicks off on Wednesday, October 4. International Walk to School Month (IWALK) is an annual celebration of active transportation that takes place around the world throughout the month of October.
When Walking to school here are some important safety tips to remember
- Look all ways before you cross the street. Always STOP, LOOK and LISTEN before crossing
- Cross at intersections and crosswalks, when possible
- Always make eye contact with drivers before you cross the street
- Obey traffic signals and signs
- Use a sidewalk if there is one
- Do not wear distracting equipment such as headphones
For anyone who can’t walk or cycle to school every day, we encourage you to try choosing an active mode of travel two or three times a week, or consider parking and walking a block to decrease the pollution and improve safety around your school.